Veterans are recognized for their service with a host of public benefits. Unfortunately, most are not aware of all of the benefits they are eligible to receive. We assist clients in applying for benefits that cover the cost of care in an assisted living facility or at home. We also educate clients about other veterans’ benefits such as the State Veterans Memorial Homes and respite home care.
This includes the application for a Veterans Pension, which is a disability income program available to veterans or their single surviving spouse. In order to be eligible for this pension, there are certain medical, asset and income requirements that need to be met:
- The veteran must have served at least 90 days of consecutive active duty service, one day of which must have been during a war-time period.
- The veteran must have received a discharge that was other than dishonorable.
- The claimant must have limited income and assets available.
- The claimant must have a permanent and total disability or be over age 65 at the time of the application.
- The disability was caused without willful misconduct of the claimant.
- The veteran or widow provides a signed application to the VA.
The high cost of medical expenses associated with long-term care is usually what qualifies a veteran for the pension. We can help you determine if you are eligible.