It takes legal acuity and sweeping expertise to successfully navigate up-and-coming industries like medical and recreational cannabis.
From seed to sale, including licensing, farming, distribution, and related due diligence practices, Norris McLaughlin’s cannabis law attorneys bring a full complement of legal and consultation services surrounding cannabis law to the table. We help clients keep pace – and remain in compliance with the fast-paced dynamics of a complicated, challenging, and changing industry.
According to the San Francisco-based Grand View Research website, the cannabinoids market was worth about $2.3 billion in 2019. The same report projected an estimated compound growth rate of 20.4% from 2020 through 2027. https://www.grandviewresearch.com/industry-analysis/us-cannabinoids-market
What We Do
Our bench is deep, and the cannabis industry is wide.
Norris McLaughlin’s attorneys provide expertise in just about every sector of the cannabis industry, ranging from employers and the workforce to environmental impacts, real estate, regulation and compliance, banking and finance, insurance, intellectual property, health care, taxation and corporate structures.
How We Help
We’re poised to advise cannabis employers, start-up companies and entrepreneurs, growers, processors, wholesalers, distributors, retailers, and investors who are part of the cannabis supply chain, with the evolving laws and regulations that make the cannabis sector a fast-moving and complex market space in which to do business.
To learn more about the cannabis industry and the far-reaching legal issues related to it, visit the Norris McLaughlin blog at https://norrismclaughlin.com/lg/
Who We Help
- Discrimination and accommodation issues
- Drug testing and background check policies and practices
- Revision of employee handbooks
- Immigration issues
- Employer health and wellness plans
- Impact of environmental laws (seed to disposal)
- Pesticide use
- Disposal of unused or discarded marijuana
- Disposal of hazardous and nonhazardous waste
- Government regulations
- Required physician registry
- Conflict of interest restrictions
- Assistance with disciplinary actions
- Guidelines for issuing medical marijuana certifications to qualified patients
- Landlord/tenant issues
- Business zoning
- Land use restrictions
- Commercial leasing
Regulatory and Compliance Issues
- Storage of product
- Purchase/sale of business
- Venture capital and financing arrangements
- Debtor/creditor rights
- Federal banking regulations
- Federal and state trademark registrations for company and product names
- Brand protection strategy including the selection, clearance, and enforcement of state and federal trademark rights
- Patents for seed, plant, manufacturing, and related technologies
- Trade secrets, confidential and proprietary information
- Copyright registration and enforcement
- Valuation of intellectual property portfolio
- Surcharges and taxes associated with state laws
- Sales or exchange of capital assets
- Business entity formation
- Contract negotiation and drafting
- Commercial agreements
- Business disputes and litigation
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Shareholder agreements
Disclaimer: Possessing, using, distributing, and/or selling marijuana or marijuana-based products is illegal under federal law, regardless of any state law that may decriminalize these activities under certain circumstances. No legal advice we give is intended to provide any guidance or assistance in violating federal law.