Norris McLaughlin knows value.
We understand how taxation and tax law affect businesses and individuals – from mergers and acquisitions or franchise sales to employee benefits – regardless of the size of the business or individual matter.
With offices in New York City; Bridgewater Township, New Jersey; and Allentown, Pennsylvania; we respond to the needs of clients and the business in the communities we serve.
Who We Are
Many of our tax attorneys hold master’s (LL.M) degrees in tax law and/or are certified public accountants (CPAs), and they frequently lecture on tax and business issues for the tax sections of organizations including the American Bar Association, the New Jersey and Pennsylvania State Bar Associations, and the Society of Certified Public Accountants.
Who We Help
We have broad experience in all aspects of state, federal, and international tax law. Our tax attorneys provide services to corporations, limited liability companies (LLCs), partnerships, single purpose entities, non profit/tax exempt entities, and individuals.
What We Do
We offer cross-disciplinary counsel serving those with business tax, individual income tax, employee benefits, trust and estates, and tax controversy needs.
We understand business tax counseling and planning, employee benefits, trusts and estates, and tax controversy can be a complex and multi-faceted process.
Because tax law can fluctuate, shift, and change each year, it is important to keep pace with those changes and adjust strategies and planning accordingly, so clients remain in compliance with this vital aspect of their businesses.
We provide general business tax counseling and planning regarding:
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Corporate reorganizations
- Partnership and LLC taxation
- Franchise, sales, use, and excise taxes on interstate and international sales
- Business formation
- Real estate transactions
- International transactions
We offer a full range of employee benefits planning, including:
- Qualified plans
- Executive compensation programs (including analysis of “golden parachute” limitations)
- Stock options
- Cafeteria plans
- Employee benefits issues in the context of corporate mergers and acquisitions
- Fiduciary duties and prohibited transactions
Trusts and Estates
We provide services to individuals and business clients, including corporate executives, with the following complex individual issues:
- Analyze particular corporate benefit plans
- Trust and estate planning and administration
- Asset retention and succession planning
- Asset protection planning
- Preparation of estate and inheritance tax returns
- Individual Tax Planning
- Tax Compliance and Collection matters
- Tax Domicile issues
We represent clients in civil and criminal matters before the Internal Revenue Service, U.S. Tax Court, and Federal District Court, as well as the following state taxing authorities:
- New Jersey Division of Taxation
- Pennsylvania Department of Revenue
- New York Department of Taxation and Finance
- Corporate and Individual income tax assessments
- Real property tax appeals
- Foreign taxation and treaty interpretation
- Sales and use taxation
- State income tax allocation and apportionment issues
- Partnership allocations
- Excise taxation